Pittsburgh, PA: When defining what it means to be a veteran in a special Veteran’s Day blog post, CEO of Sierra Experts, Bruce Freshwater stated, “They are the person that sacrificed their most vital years, their goals and aspirations – so you didn’t have to sacrifice yours.” There’s no one more qualified to make that statement than Bruce as he spent many of his most vital years serving in the United States Air Force. This, among many other reasons, is why there is so much pride surrounding Sierra Experts’ recently earned Veteran-Owned Small Business (VOSB) certification.
There are various benefits to being VOSB-certified, a main one being that VOSB’s receive top priority for government contracts which could lead to a significant increase in revenue. Aside from government work, earning this certification often helps veterans expand their businesses. In a study done by the National Veteran-Owned Business Association (NaVOBA), it was found that 70% of Americans would prefer to conduct business with companies owned and operated by veterans.
In receiving this certification for Sierra Experts, an IT Managed Service and Support provider, Bruce was able to bring his two passions together: technology and his country. While serving in the Air Force, Bruce served in many technology-focused roles including:
- Precision Measurement Equipment Laboratory Journeyman in the USAF
- While on active duty, specialized in laboratory electrical measurement, calibration supporting Type A/Depot engineering, and metrology
- During a tour in Anchorage, Alaska, served as a Calibration, Digital Control, and Computer Engineering specialist for Alyeska Pipeline
- After returning to Pittsburgh, joined the Air Force Reserves as a Computer Systems Operations Journeyman
- And currently, CEO of Sierra Experts, a Veteran-Owned Small Business!